Sunday, July 6, 2014

In any beginning...

In any beginning, I have one word, and the word is: WhatTheHeck!

With this being a holiday weekend, and having three days off, I decided to start some projects, one landscaping, one painting, and one new manuscript. I don't know about you, but whenever I come up with a new project, I spend copious amounts of time planning, strategizing, and possibly procrastinating until that golden moment, that lightning strike, that time-is-now moment hits.

It's hard to pin point what triggers that ready-set-go moment, easier to look back and see all the excuses that kept me from moving forward.


 I'm not one hundred percent sure what I want. It's too hot.





      I'm not one hundred percent sure of the color I want and I don't want to deal with the mess.











I'm not one hundred percent sure how this is going to go and I don't have a nice long stretch of time to sit and write.






                                       

I would chalk it up to being lazy, but every scrap of laundry is done, every dish is washed, the house is spotless, and the dog has been walked into a coma. When I really look back, it seems more like I'm running away--away from what I want the most. What makes me feel most vulnerable. What has the potential to be the biggest disaster. 

But also has the potential to be the biggest success. To be the most satisfying. To make me stronger.

 So this weekend, I dug one shoveful at a time...
  Removed curtain rods, light fixtures and outlets...
And wrote in long and short spurts, even when the words flowed as smoothly as cold peanut butter.







This weekend, I took the first steps to cease being my own worst enemy and becoming my best friend. My dreams are my responsibility. I'm the only one who can make them come true.

I hope that as you look at your goals, your priorities, your dreams, you'll take the same step. As Nora Roberts once told me: "If you don't try, the answer is always no."

2 comments:

Kristin Lenz said...

Way to go, Lisa! Funny and so true. From now on, whenever I'm slogging through a writing scene, I'm going to think of your description: "words flowed as smoothly as cold peanut butter."

Lisa Tapp said...

Thanks, Kristin. But I seriously hope your words flow more like peanut butter on warm toast. :)